Wednesday, August 26, 2020

COVER PROCESS/PROGRESS

 Hi, Readers! Here is a long overdue update! 

I've been working on cover art. The following process images are my latest efforts to figure out how I will use color to paint the cover. This is a digital experiment but I do intend to make a gouache painting for the final art. At this point, working with color in my digital paint program is better than with any real world media so that is where I have started. 

I am liking where this experiment has taken me but I still feel there is work to be done: figuring out my palette, how the lighting will be executed, and light/dark tonality.

Concurrently, I have been practicing gouache technique. That has been quite challenging. There is a lot to learn but I have commited myself to becoming proficient with gouache however long that journey might be and the cover art may have to be executed before I am very happy with my skill level. Also, I've discovered I know a lot less about color mixing than I thought I did!

Coming soon, a post or two showing gouache skills as they progress.

Thanks for stopping to look!

This is a watercolor, ink and gouache mini-painting I did many years ago.



 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment